LISTEN UP

In response to Covid-19 and the cur­rent trav­el and gath­er­ing restric­tions in place, CNMN is post­pon­ing Forum 2020: Lis­ten up to Spring 2021.
We thank all of you who have expressed your sup­port for the event and espe­cial­ly those who applied to our par­tic­i­pa­tion trav­el fund. We hope to offer the same fund­ing oppor­tu­ni­ties next year and will keep your appli­ca­tions on file.
In the inter­im, we hope every­one is stay­ing safe. We par­tic­u­lar­ly appre­ci­ate all those in our com­mu­ni­ties who are work­ing to keep us healthy, safe and pro­vid­ed for–both in mind and body. 

The next edi­tion of our flag­ship nation­al net­work­ing event will take place in Regi­na, SK, on Treaty 4 Ter­ri­to­ry, the tra­di­tion­al ter­ri­to­ry of the nêhiyawak (Cree), Ani­hšināpēk (Saul­teaux), Dako­ta, Lako­ta, and Nako­da, and the home­land of the Métis/Michif Nation.

Our 14th edi­tion focus­es on dif­fer­ent ways we lis­ten and are present in our musi­cal prac­tices, with an inter­est for activism, ecol­o­gy and access, while cel­e­brat­ing music beyond con­ven­tion­al con­cert spaces and structures. 

Lis­ten up / Ten­dez l’or­eille com­bines a spir­it of activism with an inter­est in prac­tices out­side the con­cert hall and with increas­ing aware­ness of how to bring every­one, irre­spec­tive of abil­i­ty or capac­i­ty, into the new music and sound audi­ence and expe­ri­ence. We will see pre­sen­ta­tions and dis­cuss art and advo­ca­cy with­in five streams:

Acces­si­bil­i­ty:
With the goal of mak­ing music and sound expe­ri­ences avail­able, invit­ing and pos­si­ble for many, what strate­gies can we share and issues can we raise to increase our impact and aware­ness? Many fac­tors lead to exclu­sion and iso­la­tion from and with­in com­mu­ni­ties, some increas­ing­ly tak­en into con­sid­er­a­tion by those cre­at­ing and pre­sent­ing works and events, oth­ers still often over­looked. CNMN wish­es to invite exchanges on the many issues and solu­tions around poli­cies, lan­guage, gate­keep­ing, pre­car­i­ty, safe­ty, wel­come, and any oth­ers that affect how we prac­tice, con­nect and serve.

Com­mu­ni­ty:
Who are we and where do we belong? Music and sound prac­tice has an incred­i­bly strong poten­tial for rein­forc­ing our sense of belong­ing through gath­er­ing, shar­ing, and prac­tice. Across cul­tures and dis­tances, peo­ple are con­nect­ing with, teach­ing, heal­ing, and inspir­ing one anoth­er. Dis­cus­sions and pre­sen­ta­tions will open our expe­ri­ence to oth­er com­mu­ni­ties and their strate­gies for con­nec­tion and meaning.

Indige­nous resur­gence:
Cel­e­brat­ing of the increased vis­i­bil­i­ty and sup­port for Indige­nous artists and prac­tices, CNMN is grate­ful for the invig­o­ra­tion of its com­mu­ni­ty with the pres­ence of Indige­nous artists and cura­tors. We look for­ward to increased aware­ness and expe­ri­ence of cer­e­mo­ny, and encour­age the dis­cus­sion of right rela­tions with Indige­nous com­mu­ni­ties and knowl­edge and respons­es to the Truth and Rec­on­cil­i­a­tion’s Calls to Action. CNMN is design­ing an action pol­i­cy to address these issues and wel­comes the oppor­tu­ni­ty to gath­er and share. 

Land:
Lis­ten­ing to land unfolds in many prac­tices, cer­e­monies, philoso­phies and beliefs. Our rela­tion­ships and ter­ri­to­ries shape our ears and per­cep­tion. Dis­cus­sions will encour­age expres­sions, cel­e­bra­tions and advo­ca­cy for land in our prac­tices and poli­cies and we hope to gain inspi­ra­tion to sup­port health­i­er ecolo­gies and pre­serve ter­ri­to­r­i­al knowledge.

Technology–Innovation:
New cre­ative meth­ods, forms and tools are invent­ed, test­ed and put to inge­nious use by new music and sound cre­atives and pre­sen­ters all the time. These inno­va­tions can bring sound expe­ri­ences to new audi­ences, they can be new modes of expres­sion or they might enhance the every­day expe­ri­ence of musi­cians and those who present their work. Exist­ing tech­nolo­gies are repur­posed or used in nov­el ways to adapt to the real­i­ties of mak­ing sound in and out of con­cert halls, on the air­waves or the internet.

The list of pre­sen­ters cov­ers an impres­sive array of voic­es to guide us in our reflec­tion. They include: 

*Projects cho­sen by the Open Call Jury (Luke Nick­el, Lou Shep­pard, Olivia Shortt). 

Keep an eye on our Face­book news­feed where we will be show­cas­ing these guests in the com­ing months.

Activ­i­ties will take place at the Uni­ver­si­ty of Regi­na, First Nations Uni­ver­si­ty and in a num­ber of down­town Regi­na venues. We are part­ner­ing with pre­sen­ters and fes­ti­vals from all over the Prairies to bring you par­al­lel event pro­gram­ming where every­one will dis­cov­er the wealth of ideas, per­for­mances and tal­ent from the heart of the coun­try.

We look for­ward to wel­com­ing you in Regi­na for yet anoth­er excit­ing edition! 

CNMN is very grate­ful for the sup­port of FACTOR in the pro­duc­tion of this event.

• Open Call for Proposals

The Cana­di­an New Music Net­work invites mem­bers to par­tic­i­pate in the Open Call for Pro­pos­als for Forum 2020, tak­ing place in Regi­na from May 21 to 24, 2020. Find out more details about the 14th edi­tion of CNM­N’s Forum here.

Forum 2020 — Lis­ten up — cel­e­brates the spir­it of activism and inclu­sion through five themes:

Access, Com­mu­ni­ty, Indige­nous Resur­gence, Land and Tech­nol­o­gy-Inno­va­tion.

We wel­come pro­pos­als for 

1. 15-minute (demo-)presentations (with a sub­se­quent 5‑minute round of ques­tions) engag­ing with one of the five themes. Select­ed pre­sen­ters  will be invit­ed to join in a group dis­cus­sion with oth­er ses­sion mem­bers and participants.
    2. Pro­pos­als are also encour­aged for 20- or 40-minute work­shops engag­ing Forum par­tic­i­pants in one of the five themes.
    3. Pro­pos­als for sound-art works and per­for­mances (20-minute max­i­mum) with an expla­na­tion of how they relate to one or more of the themes are also accepted.

Appli­ca­tions that encour­age par­tic­i­pa­to­ry or mutu­al learn­ing ele­ments are most high­ly encouraged. 

Par­tic­i­pants whose pro­pos­als are select­ed will have their trav­el and accom­mo­da­tions cov­ered, as well as the Forum fee waived. The jury for the Open Call is com­prised of CNM­N’s mem­ber­ship from across the coun­try. Any­one work­ing in the cre­ation or pre­sen­ta­tion of new cre­ative music and sound is encour­aged to apply! Appli­ca­tions in FR and EN accepted.

Please send the fol­low­ing appli­ca­tion mate­ri­als to Ter­ri Hron: dir@reseaumusiquesnouvelles.ca by Jan­u­ary 24 Feb­ru­ary 3, 2020

In one doc­u­ment (.doc or .docx pre­ferred, but .odt, .rtf and .pdf accept­ed), the following: 

• Legal and pre­ferred name
    • Postal address, email address and phone number.
    • 100-word bio (for the Forum program)
    • Per­son­al web­site URL and/or Soundcloud/Vimeo
    • Short 100-word pre­sen­ta­tion or 200-word work­shop blurb (for the Forum program)
    • 500-word (max­i­mum) pre­sen­ta­tion or work­shop pro­pos­al
      CV (max­i­mum 3 pages)

Please also send: 

• A high-res­o­lu­tion pho­to of your­self (2MB max) (for the Forum program)
  • Forum 2020: Participant Travel and Expense Support

Are you inter­est­ed in CNMN Forum 2020: Lis­ten up in Regi­na, May 21–24?

Would you like to par­tic­i­pate, but can­not afford trav­el costs and relat­ed expenses?

The Cana­di­an New Music Net­work under­stands that musi­cians work­ing in cre­ative new music and exper­i­men­tal prac­tices often expe­ri­ence finan­cial pre­car­i­ty and main­tain them­selves with lim­it­ed means. For the first time, we are able to offer finan­cial aid to a lim­it­ed num­ber of Forum par­tic­i­pants. CNMN will con­sid­er air­fare, train and/or vehi­cle trav­el expens­es with­in Cana­da, and will cov­er on-site accom­mo­da­tions, per diem, and reg­is­tra­tion fee at Forum 2020. Please note: due to lim­it­ed resources, we may only be able to pro­vide par­tial funding.

To apply, please com­plete the fol­low­ing in one PDF document:

1. Pro­vide your name and city/town/area of residence.
    2. Tell us why you wish to attend Forum 2020. (Max. 300 words)
    3. Describe the finan­cial sup­port you require, includ­ing an esti­mate of your total trav­el costs. (Max. 200 words)
    4. Include your artis­tic bio (or a descrip­tion of your prac­tice and/or role in the arts sec­tor). (Max. 200 words)

Email your appli­ca­tion to: dir@reseaumusiquesnouvelles.ca
    We encour­age appli­cants to become (free) mem­bers of CNMN and engage with us on social media!

Appli­ca­tions will be open until April 1 and will be eval­u­at­ed by a fund­ing committee.

All appli­cants will be con­tact­ed with results when they become available.