April 12, 2022Activism Conversations – Access
What’s the point of deepening access? When accessibility goes wrong is thinking of access as a one-way street, where someone who hasn’t experienced something finally gets the chance to take it in. Rather, the access aspiration here is a bridge to cultural exchange where multiple people or communities benefit equitably from a barrier free space to meet, connect, find commonalities, celebrate difference, and share their cultures with each other. Increasing Access inherently involves recognizing or acknowledging existing barriers. What are some of the barriers (in your work, company, community, discipline, etc)? What communities, cultures, or experiences does this community need to increase access with these days? Is there a place, an experience, a community that we are not able to access? What would need to change to make it accessible? Watch the Access FORUM 2021 video.
Moderator: Col Cseke
Guests: Chelsea Jones, Julie Richard, Ellen Waterman
March 15, 2022Activism Conversations – Innovation/Technology
New directions in technology, and new definitions of innovation. How do we work with non-humans? What is unknowable in our practice? Where do our compositions come from? How do we define listening? Are all things heard, audible? Watch the Innovation/Technology FORUM 2021 video.
Moderator: Suzanne Kite
Guests: Amy Brandon, Teresa Connors, Helga Jakobson, Annie Martin
February 15, 2022Activism Conversations – Land
What is sound relationship with land? How can we encourage and practice right relations? What are the ethics of recording landscapes and places? Whose consent do we need to seek? Watch the Land FORUM 2021 video.
Moderator: Wende Bartley
Guests: Tanya Kalmanovitch, Heather Peat Hamm, Tina Pearson, Jenni Schine
January 18, 2022Activism Conversations – Indigenous Resurgence
How do Indigenous artists and communities respond to the current notion of Indigenous resurgence? How does language and definition affect or effect Indigenous work? Does mentorship play a role in the work of Indigenous artists and how? Watch the Indigenous Resurgence FORUM 2021 video.
Moderator: Becca Taylor
Guests: Astrolabe Music Theatre (Heather Pawsey & Delphine Armstrong Derickson), Ian Cusson, Geronimo Inutiq, Sandy Scofield
December 7, 2021Activism Conversations — Community
In the plurality of often fragile intimate networks of social connection, what do we hear that is already there? How do we accompany, provide supports, listen for when the notes are caught tight in a net and help with the untangling and then listen for the new entanglement? Maybe we should ask first? Maybe it was already there? Can we really avoid building border patrols, practicing extraction, imposing external categories, repeating trauma? What does mutual benefit actually mean? Watch the Community FORUM 2021 video.
Moderator: Rebecca Caines
Guests: Giorgio Magnanensi, Louise Campbell
October 14, 2021CNMN AGM 2021
Thursday, October 14 @ 1pm (EDT)
We are pleased to inform you that this year voting memberships are pay-what-you-can, so come and make your voice count!
Please RSVP to email@example.com to receive Annual Reports in advance, or to name a proxy attending the meeting!
To ensure everyone’s safety, CNMN will be hosting the AGM on Zoom
September 28, 2021FORUM 2021 — Listen up!
Check out the FORUM page for all the details!
April 22, 2021Conversation francophone
February 11, 2021Decolonization Series
January 14, 2021Decolonization Series
December 3, 2020Process vs. Product
Curator: Olivia Shortt
Guests: Olivia C. Davies; Marion Newman; Kim Senklip-Harvey
The intersectionality of collaboration, ethics, and Indigenous protocols in art-making.
What does it mean to ‘decolonize’ or ‘indigenize’ an artistic space? How do we create spaces that are safe? What is an intersectional approach to decolonization — how do we start from a place of openness to all? What can we learn from each other’s discipline’s approach to decolonization? Let’s talk about the artistic process. The language used in a space, land acknowledgement, who is in charge? Discussion of having medicine in the room (turning the fire alarm off), listening to indigenous voices and voices of colour. having an elder in the space. Sharing food, time for silence/rest/breaks. From hiring to rehearsals, what do we each value in the process to help make a space ‘safer’.
Part of the Decolonization Series.
November 12, 2020Can Western art music ever be equitable in practice and in perception?
Curator: Parmela Attariwala
Guests: Pat Carrabré, Ian Cusson, Lise Vaugeois, Dinuk Wijeratne
Various aspects of coloniality—including postcolonialism and neocolonialism—play out in criticisms of, and support for, Western Art Music, as well as in recent calls to decolonize the institutions that sustain it. The “Re:Soundings” diversity report, commissioned by Orchestras Canada, highlighted multiple nodes at which contemporary encounters between Western art music and other musics have been problematic. How can we reconceptualize the parameters by which we currently define avant-gardeism in music, and in doing so, might we also begin to unshackle the art form from its Eurocentric priorities?
Part of the Decolonization Series.
October 29, 2020PCM Hub Launch
Join us for the celebration of the new Participatory Creative Music Hub
October 29 @ 7 pm EST
Host: Louise Campbell
Guests: Chris Brown, Kathryn Cobbler, Moe Clark, Jodi Proznick, Pierre Vachon
With the goal of inspiring people to make their own music and providing resources with which to do so, the Hub showcases creative music projects in schools, hospitals, long-term care facilities, social services and prisons, using materials as varied as playdough, stethoscopes, found objects, acoustic instruments, rock band instruments, field recorders and digital software.
October 22, 2020Decolonial Imaginings
An event in support of of-the-now’s Decolonial Imaginings project around Dylan Robinson’s new book Hungry Listening.
Curators: Dylan Robinson & Mitch Renaud
Settler composers: jake moore, Jocelyn Morlock, Juliet Palmer, Luke Nickel, Kelly Ryan
Respondents: Tina Pearson, Tamara Levitz
Check out the whole Decolonial Imaginings project!
May 21, 2020FORUM 2020: Listen up—POSTPONED!
Our 14th edition focuses on different ways we listen and are present in our musical practices, with an interest for activism, ecology and access, while celebrating music beyond conventional concert spaces and structures.
FORUM 2020 will take place in Regina. For all the information, click here!
September 24, 2019Annual General Meeting
Our AGA will be held in Montreal on September 24, 2019 at noon Eastern time.
The meeting will be held at:
Salon des Musiciens, Le Vivier - map/carte
1200 Rue de Bleury, Montréal, QC H3B 3J3
To connect remotely:
One tap mobile +16475580588„586697565# Canada
Dial by your location +1 647 558 0588 Canada
Meeting ID: 586 697 565
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abnOcCBnBA
Please RSVP to Terri Hron to receive the documentation and so we can be looking out for you in person or online.
March 2, 2019Conversations Winnipeg — Equity & Diversity
For more info, click here.
February 23, 2019Conversations Vancouver — Sustainability
For more information, click here.
May 17, 2018FORUM 2018 — Entr’arts / Between the arts
For more information click here.
March 1, 2018Calendar
- FORUM 2018 — Click here for more details.
- 25th edition CNMN Bulletin
- 2017 Annual General Meeting
- CNMN at the ISCM World New Music Days in Vancouver, with their project Survey 2017: Pathways to a life in new music — November 2–8, 2017
- Call for participation for Survey 2017: Pathways to a life in new music — deadline Sept. 8, 2017
- 24th edition CNMN Bulletin — Click here to read…
- Diversity: a rolling national conversation in Montreal, May 1
- Diversity: a rolling national conversation in Victoria, March 26
- Diversity: a rolling national conversation in Halifax, January 9
- 23rd edition CNMN Bulletin — Click here to read…
- 2016 Annual General Meeting — October 27, 2016
- 22nd edition CNMN Bulletin — Click here to read…
- Elections for the next CNMN Board of Directors (2016–18) — Click here for more details.
- January 14–17, 2015 — FORUM 2016 — Ottawa — Click here for more details.
- 21st edition CNMN Bulletin — Click here to read…
- 2015 Annual General Meeting — October 16, 2015
- Open Call for proposals for FORUM 2016 OTTAWA (deadline September 4, 2015) — Click here for more details.
- 20th edition CNMN Bulletin (May 2015) — Click here to read…
- January 21–24, 2015 — New Music Initiative — Canadian New Music at the CAPACOA conference — Click here for more details.
- 19th edition CNMN Bulletin (December 2015) — Click here to read…
- Open Call for the New Music Initiative 2015 (deadline June 30, 2014) — Click here for more details.
- Elections for the next CNMN Board of Directors (2014–2016) — Click here for more details.
- 18th edition CNMN Bulletin (March 2014) — Click here to read…
- January 24–26, 2014 — FORUM 2014 — Calgary — Click here for more details.
- 17th edition CNMN Bulletin (December 2014) — Click here to read…
- Canadian New Music at IAMA Montréal 2013 — November 7 & 8, 2013 — Click here for more details.
- 2013 Annual General Meeting — Montréal, October 23, 2013 — Click here for more details.
- 16th edition CNMN Bulletin — Click here to read…
- Regional Meetings 2012–2013 continue — April 21, 2013 — Saskatchewan Regional Meeting
- Regional Meetings 2012–2013 continue:
- 15th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — Click here to read…
- December 9, 2012 — Regional Meetings 2012–2013 launches with the Quebec Regional Meeting
- December 9, 2012 — 5pm — Special General Meeting
- November 23, 2012 — CNMN round table at the international conference “Music Learning: Benefits for the 21st century learner.” Click here to read…
- 14th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — Click here to read…
- 2012 Annual General Meeting — Montréal, June 26, 2012 — Click here for more details.
- Elections for the next CNMN Board of Directors (2012–2014)
- 13th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — download the document (pdf)
- 11th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — September 2011 — download the document (pdf)
- June 6, 2011 — Annual General Meeting — Montréal — Click here for more details.
- 10th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — June 2011 — download the document (pdf)
- 9th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — November 2010 — download the document (pdf)
- May 20, 2010 — Annual General Meeting 2010 — Montréal
- Elections for the next CNMN Board of Directors (2010–2012)
- 8th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — April 26, 2010 — Special Bulletin — download the document (pdf)
- 7th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — April 2010 — download the document (pdf)
- January 7 to 9, 2010 — Forum 2010 — Halifax
- 6th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — December 2009 — download the document (pdf)
- 5th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin — October 2009 — download the document (pdf)
- Forum 2009, February 27 + 28, 2009 — Montréal — Collaboration with the Montréal/New Music International Festival (MNM)
- Annual General Meeting 2009 — Saturday February 28 from 4:15pm to 4:45pm, Salle multimédia, Conservatoire de musique de Montréal, 4750, Henri-Julien, Montréal
- 4th edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin
- Preparation for Forum 2009
- Membership Campaign — we want to double the number of members in 6 months!
- Membership renewal campaign
- Elections for the Board of Directors: deadline for nominations is February 25th
- Forum 2008 — Annual conference — May 24 + 25 — Toronto, ON
- 3rd edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin
- CNMN Workshops Canadian Tour from East to West: A series of workshops and lectures to be given across Canada — Feb. 17 in Halifax, Feb. 18 in Toronto, Feb. 23 in Victoria, Feb. 24 in Vancouver —, touching on two critical issues for new music.
- Promoting New Music / Maximizing Media Impact with a Limited Budget: a workshop by Francine Labelle, Toronto new music promotions, with the participation of Jackie Schryer (ex-Winnipeg Symphony Orcehstra communications director)
- New Music Digital Dissemination / Technical, Practical, Historical and Philosophical Issues of Recorded New Music in the 21st Century — CDs, DVDs, Mp3s, iTunes — What’s next, what should an artist do?: a free-form talk by Jean-François Denis, director of the empreintes digitales label, electrocd.com, and La Liste promotion and web calendar.
- 2nd edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin
- 1st edition of the CNMN Electronic Bulletin
- Annual General Meeting 2007 — Montréal
- Roundtable Meeting — Toronto
- CNMN, Canadian League of Composers (CLC), Canadian Music Centre (CMC), CBC, Radio-Canada, SOCAN Foundation — new ideas for new music
- Our First Forum! Forum 2007: New Music and Media: Getting the Message Out. Alongside Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra New Music Festival. Feb. 10–11, 2007.
Autumn 2006 to Winter 2007
- Presentation of survey results to various agencies and the media
Spring + Fall 2006
- New music in Canada survey — who is doing what? The economics of new art music practices in Canada — the cost of doing business
- Membership drive
- Begin discussions with CBC / politicians — the place of Creative Music on the national broadcaster
- Official Launch
January 21, 2015New Music Initiative 2015
January 21 to the 24, 2015 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. More info…
January 14, 2015FORUM 2016
January 14 to the 17, 2015 in Ottawa, Ontario. More info…
January 23, 2014FORUM 2014
Our upcoming national FORUM takes place January 23 to 26, 2014 in Calgary. More info here.
January 18, 2014Regional Meetings 2013 — 2014
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Atlantic Regional Meeting — More Information
November 7, 2013Canadian New Music at IAMA Montreal 2013
November 7–8, 2013 — in Montreal. More details here.
April 21, 2013CNMN Saskatchewan Regional Meeting – Regina — April 21, 2013
December 9, 2012Regional Meetings 2012 — 2013
January 19, 2012Forum 2012
January 19–22, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia.
January 8, 2011Regional Meetings 2011
The Canadian New Music Network has a brand-new initiative for 2011.