Anna Höstman and Aline Homzy
- Acoustic instruments
- Digital devices
- 13 to 18 years of age
ACTIVATE: Young Composer Program
ACTIVATE: Young Composer Program is an adjudicated composition program presented by The Alliance for Canadian New Music Projects (ACNMP) and Canadian Music Centre (CMC).
ACTIVATE is an early entry point for young artists (25 years of age or younger) exploring composition and sound: in particular those who are not working/studying in a professional context, and would therefore want to access different forms of mentorship and opportunities to hear their music performed by professional musicians. ACTIVATE participants will gain new skills, and have opportunities to connect with a peer group from across Canada.
The 2020 edition featured adjudicator and composer mentor Anna Höstman as well as violinist and composer Aline Homzy.
- All applications were submitted through an online form (along with the score and sound file of the submitted work)
- Adjudicated pieces could be in any medium (for any instrumentation, including electronics), and have a duration from 2 to 10 minutes
- To be considered for the reading session, composers were required to submit solo or duo works, or fixed electronic pieces for stereo playback, that meet the duration criteria. If a piece is written for solo or duo instruments with fixed electronics (stereo playback) it will be considered for the reading.
Adjudicated composition class:
- Each composer received a short written adjudication from Anna Höstman or Aline Homzy in response to a submitted piece of music (addressing technical and artistic aspects of the work, with some recommendations for further development in each young composer’s practice)
- Adjudicator comments provided a balance of encouraging/positive remarks, with constructive feedback regarding technical and compositional matters. In particular, adjudicators were encouraged to direct composers towards listening or score samples from contemporary composers active today.
Reading session with guest musicians:
- Anna Höstman, along with ACNMP and CMC organizers, will select up to six (6) of the adjudicated works to be included in a professional reading session with guest musicians performing the works.
- Composers would access the reading session remotely using an unlisted livestream link, and a video conferencing application to facilitate real-time interaction.
- Composers selected for the reading session will receive a professional audio recording for personal reference
- Every applicant from the adjudication stage will be invited to audit the reading session.
- There will be an opportunity for participating composers and those auditing to discuss their music