- Found objects or art supplies
- 5 to 12 years of age
- 13 to 18 years of age
1 hour visual art workshop
- Community associations
- Social services
- Special needs (e.g. Down
- Mental health
Passage Through Time — Creating Music-Inspired Visual Art
GOAL: to develop a deeper appreciation of music and the visual arts and how they compliment each other. In this particular workshop, participants were inspired by the music of Jabbour, using the music as a spark for their art.
ACTIVITY: Art making is enriched when layered with a variety of experiences and techniques.
First, a musician(s) presents their history and music, exchanging ideas that add another layer to the creative process. In this case, Guillaume Jabbour describes his band, which includes Bill Gossage, Carl Rufh and Bill Collier. The group’s identity solidified during their tour of British Columbia in 2015, when the musicians began to understand that they had found their place on the Canadian folk music scene, identifying themselves particularly with the official language minorities of the country: the English-speaking communities of Quebec and the French-speaking communities of Canada. Refer to the video for how Guillaume does this.
Next, we learn about the art technique to be used in drawing and painting. Then we listen to the music and draw. Finally, we reflect and get and give feedback. Next time, choose another musicians’ work to inspire your creativity.
- deeper listening
- heightened senses
- increased awareness of the connection between music and visual art.
- ease, confidence, and joy in listening to music and creating art.
- deepened relationships amongst group members through shared experience and sharing artworks.
- a greater sense of connection and ensemble with artist, musician, and participants.
MATERIALS: paper with pencil, crayons, coloured pencils, markers, oil pastels etc. and or paint and brush.
- Listen to the music while thinking about the theme, Passage Through Time. What does it make you think about? What images or memories come to mind? Using the music and the theme as inspiration, create a narrative drawing – a drawing that tells a visual story.
- Let us draw. I am using the example of drawing with a pencil. Pencil marks, Composition, Abstract and figurative are concepts in painting and drawing. Refer to the video for examples. You choose your materials of choice. Here are concepts to consider:
- Pencil marks – Experiment with the side and point of the pencil, increase, and decrease pressure. You can create light, medium, dark, thin, and thick lines.
- Composition in a drawing is the ‘what am I going to put and where am I going to place it on the paper’. When playing with composition, remember that drawings can pass the edges of the paper and overlap other papers.
- In drawing and painting, abstract or non-figurative is based on shape, texture, colour, and value (light and dark). Figurative is based on a person, place, or thing. Figurative abstraction is a combination of the two. Perspective – Objects that are closer usually start at the bottom of the page, are bigger with more detail and colour. The opposite is true for objects that are further on.
3. As you draw, periodically stop the music, share thoughts, ideas and in process artwork to inspire each other.
4. When the music and artworks are finished, share them and discuss.
You can pick any of Jabbour’s music as an inspiration for visual creation. Listen to the music, what will you draw?
“Listening to the music was like taking a peek into someone’s life. I described it as “dancing through life”. The drawing started with a bean (a coffee bean!) and evolved into a rainbow dance bursting with new life. I really enjoyed the art music class today.” Shannon, workshop participant
*Please contact Deirdre at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to know more about the project.
To hear more of Jabbour: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJv456VqSBLWXO8kSBDOKA/videos
Jabbour Round the Clock Album · 2016: https://soundcloud.com/gjband/sets/round-the-clock-2016
Les Fruits · Jabbour ℗ 2019 Jabbour Released on: 2019-05-13 Auto-generated by YouTube: https://youtu.be/QGuonIekvG4
Honey · Jabbour ℗ 2018 Jabbour Released on: 2018-04-13 Auto-generated by YouTube: https://youtu.be/QGuonIekvG4
He Doesn’t Need You Jabbour Album Round the Clock Licensed to YouTube by CD Baby (on behalf of Jabbour), CD Baby Sync Publishing: https://youtu.be/Jn8RpaTQAvE
Read More +