Note: deadline is now passed.
Thank you to everyone who responded to our open call for proposals.
In July 2015, the Canadian New Music Network launched a CALL FOR PROPOSALS for the 7th national FORUM being held January 14 to 17, 2016 in Ottawa.
We received 19 applications from all around the country, representing a great variety of creative interests. The competition was very strong. A bilingual independent jury composed of a diverse group of five new music professionals from across Canada reviewed every application, and they remarked on the consistently high, professional quality of the submissions. After the jury made their short list of top recommendations, the steering committee took this list and tried to integrate as many of them as possible into the schedule. Faced with only so many time slots available, and so many wonderful proposals, it was a difficult task indeed.
The following people were invited:
- Sarah Albu – Vocalist (Montreal, QC)
- Ruby Kato Attwood – Vocalist Artist (Montreal, QC)
- Erin Bardua and Maureen Batt – Co-Artistic Directors, Essential Opera (Halifax, NS)
- Sandeep Baghwati – Composer Director, matralab (Montreal, QC)
- Jonathan Goldman – Associate Professor of Musicology, Faculty of Music, Université de Montréal • Editor-in-chief, Circuit, musiques contemporaines (Montreal, QC)
- Kiya Tabassian – Artistic Director, Constantinople Composer • Setar (Montreal, QC)
- Tim Crouch and Monica Pearce – Toy Piano Composers (Toronto, ON)
- Frank Horvat – Composer Pianist (Toronto, ON)
- Robert Taylor and Edwin Lai – Toronto Laptop Orchestra (TOLOrk) (Toronto, ON)
- Simon Martin – Composer Artistic Director, Projections libérantes (Montreal, QC)
- Charlotte Mundy – Soprano (New York, NY)
- Luke Nickel – Composer Co-Director, Cluster: New Music + Integrated Arts Festival (Winnipeg, MB)
- Juliet Palmer – Composer Artistic Director, Urbanvessel (Toronto, ON)
- Jerry Pergolesi – Artistic Director, Contact Contemporary Music (Toronto, ON)
- Isabella Stefanescu – Visual and Media Artist Artistic Director, Inter Arts Matrix (Kitchener/Waterloo, ON)
The Canadian New Music Network has launched a CALL FOR PROPOSALS for the 7th national FORUM being held January 14 to 17, 2016 in Ottawa.
Proposals should build around the understanding of the following:
(1) We’re looking for programming proposals from everyone! The goal of our FORUMs is to create greater networking and development opportunities for the entire new music community – artistic directors, performers, improvisers, composers, educators, presenters, researchers, arts administrators, artist managers, producers, publishers and all other new music practitioners.
(2) The FORUM is neither an academic conference nor an arts market/showcase; it’s a hybrid that seeks to create connections for everyone working in the new music field. Consult our web site for information on previous FORUMs.
(3) The FORUM 2016 theme is New Music and the Mainstream, which can be taken in many diverse directions: the intersections between the popular and the not-so-popular; the mechanisms and processes behind the distribution, consumption and promotion of mainstream and new music; questions about society as a whole, and much more. Consult the front-page section for further ideas related to the theme. If you have a burning issue, demonstration, workshop or other type of activity along the lines of the theme to propose, please send it in. Even if you have a fabulous idea that’s not theme-related, shoot that our way too. We’re very open and are looking for a wide diversity of proposals.
15 min., 30 min., or 45 min. time slots are available.
What formats to use for what time slots? Here are just some ideas:
15 min. slots:
- A passionate mini-talk – about your research, experiences or ideas.
- A public conversation or interview between two interesting people.
- A performance-demonstration (but not a concert).
- Guide a quick & simple bonding activity that provides attendees opportunity to get to know each other in a different way other than talking. A great way to refresh everyone’s energy between the “blah blah blah” that takes place. This could include musical improv or something entirely different.
30 or 45 min. slots:
- A hands-on workshop that teaches attendees something interesting.
- Moderating a group activity that encourages direct participation of FORUM attendees around a specific goal.
- Facilitating a networking activity for attendees to get feedback or engage others regarding their projects or interests.
- Include time for Q & A or open discussion, when appropriate.
- No panels/round tables: these are already being programmed.
- Slots are limited. The FORUM 2016 steering committee makes programming decisions – all decisions are final.
- Activities involving multiple people: all parties must consent and take part in the application.
- Applicants whose proposals are accepted will be required to register for the FORUM.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submission deadline September 4, 2015
Email your submission to Emily Hall – firstname.lastname@example.org
Include, as ONE PDF FILE:
- Contact information
- 1‑page outline (indicate time slot duration as well as format)
- 200 word bio(s)
- List of technical requirements (equipment you will need, how much space, how much set-up time)
- Equipment & production budget (if applicable)
- IMPORTANT: We do not accept other attachments or downloads. If necessary, provide direct links to streaming audio or video (Soundcloud, YOUTUBE, Website, etc.). ie. NO dropbox link or MP3 email attachment.
Acceptance notification: Oct. 15, 2015.
p.s. Please help spread the news. Share this web page URL through email, social media, newsletters, etc.. A bilingual print-friendly announcement is available — FORUM 2016 OPEN CALL (PDF) — for doors, notice boards, etc..