FORUM 2014 Location
The Rozsa Centre, University of Calgary
206 University Ct NW
Registration Desk located in the foyer.
Coat check and box office located at the entrance to the centre.
Please pick up in-person your nametag (aka pass) at the registration desk. The pass gets you in to all FORUM activities as well as a substantial discount on tickets to the evening concerts.
WIFI at the FORUM:
“airUC” Network (this will NOT work for the “aidUC Secure” network). Open Browser (and you should be re-directed to the U of C page). Login: rcguest | Conference password: cnmn#14 (case sensitive).
Hotel Alma – More info
169 University Gate NW
Find all the places mentioned below on this Google map.
Download a printable FORUM 2014 Map (PDF).
Warning: do not rely on regular Google Maps for locations on campus – you will most likely get the wrong information.
From the airport (YYC) to Hotel Alma
The FORUM is not responsible for airport pickups. However, for delegates who have sent us their flight itinerary to firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 14, we are keeping tabs on arrivals. By Saturday, Jan. 18, we will play matchmaker for delegates arriving on the same flights or around the same time, so they may arrange to share travel amongst themselves.
BP Shuttle to hotel – Rates: $30/2 people, $40/3 people, $50/4 people. Call 403–259-5959 to book in advance.
Calgary Transit: Total trip time is approximately 90 minutes and will cost $3. Bring exact change or see more info how to pay. Directions: go to bay #20 on the arrivals level. Take the express bus #300, direction south and get off at 7 Avenue S. Catch a Dalhousie C‑Train and get off at University station. Turn left at the top of the stairs and continue straight, across campus – the Rozsa Centre and Hotel Alma will be on your left past two large glass buildings.
- From the airport or from north of the city — at non-rush hour times, the most direct route.
- From the airport or from north of the city — during rush hour, the FASTEST route.
- From south of the city.
- From east of the city.
From Hotel Alma to the FORUM
The Rozsa Centre is a two-minute walk east of Hotel Alma (a left turn as you come out of the main front doors).
From the FORUM to the MacEwan Student Centre
Turn left out of the door and walk across the courtyard to the big glass building.
From the FORUM to the TFDL
Turn left out of the door, then immediately right and walk across the courtyard to the other big glass building.
From Hotel Alma to Stadium Shopping Centre (Restaurants)
Walking straight out the main doors of the hotel, follow the road to the edge of campus (24 Ave). Cross 24 Ave and continue on Udell Road. At the T‑intersection jog to the right and continue along the footpath until you reach Uxbridge Drive. You will see Stadium Centre on your left. 1941 Uxbridge Dr NW.
From Hotel Alma to Kensington (Restaurants etc.)
From Hotel Alma, walk to University Station (turn left out the main doors of the hotel and walk straight, following the signs). Catch a southbound train to Sunnyside station. The “main drag” is along both Kensington Road and 10 Street W. 10 St W is on the other side of the Safeway at Sunnyside station. Turn left along 10 St W to reach Kensington Road.
Coffee & Eating
See specific walking or transit directions above
- Café Alma – at Hotel Alma
- Good Earth – walk to the TFDL. Good Earth is on your left once you are inside.
- MacEwan Student Centre has a food court as well as a Grad Lounge (3rd floor, closed weekends).
- Stadium Shopping Centre is a 15 minute walk and has: The Keg (403–282-0020), Redwater Grill (403–220-0222), and a pub, Moose Maguires.
- The neighbourhood of Kensington is 10 minutes away by public transit, and has many different restaurants and pubs for all tastes as well as a grocery store and many other shops.
For all-day parking the Art Parkade (accessed from University Drive or 24th Avenue) is the most cost-effective ($8 per day, no in/out privileges). There are many short term lots all across campus.
Apart from the FORUM hotel (Hotel Alma), the Banff Trail is a 10–15 minute walk from the university campus and has a number of hotels. Both the Best Western Village Park Inn and the Travelodge are good options.
- Maps from U of C:
- Tourism Calgary
- Urbanspoon Calgary
- Calgary Culture
- Calgary Transit
- Campus Recreation
Things to do on campus
- MacEwan Student Centre has a pharmacy and a bookstore, as well as the food court and grad lounge.
- Attached to MacEwan Student Centre is the Olympic Oval, which offers public skating (rentals available) and the campus fitness centre and swimming pool, which offers day-passes to the public.
- The Canadian Music Centre, Prairie Region (on the 3rd floor of the TFDL) offers a small lounge, as well as a collection of more than 20,000 Canadian music scores and hundreds of commercial and archival recordings available for reference. The CMC also carries Centrediscs CDs and manuscript paper for sale, as well as copying and binding services.