- Networking – improving communication, understanding and knowledge within the new music community
- Representation – improving communication, understanding and knowledge of the new music community and its art to the larger society.
The specific goals of the CNMN are:
- To build a stronger sense of connection, and foster productive collaborations, between all parts of the new music community (networking and communication).
- To give voice to a sector that is unheard, and broaden awareness of new music activity (profile and visibility).
- To celebrate the achievements of Canadian new music artists and defend the vital contribution of new music in Canada (respect and understanding).
- To improve the amount and kinds of support available to the new music community, in order to enhance opportunities for creation, performance, and distribution (resources).
In practical terms this means:
- The CNMN represents everyone involved in musical creation — composers, performers, ensembles, administrators, service organisations, educators, musicologists, audience members. We need you allas members.
- We will be able to speak for a large community with one voice.
- The CNMN will be a fully bilingual organisation.